I’ll admit it – vacation for me does not typically include cooking. I’m on vacation, and I want to eat in restaurants. But when traveling with extended family or several families, it can be easier and certainly more economical to stay somewhere with kitchen facilities, and cook in for a few meals. And cooking in means grocery shopping.
My initial search for a good spot to pick up groceries near Walt Disney World brought me to what seems to be the accepted answer to the question, “Is there grocery delivery for Walt Disney World?” – Gooding’s. At first glance, Gooding’s looks convenient and just fine. However, dig a little, and you’ll find online reviews with words like, “tired”, “picked-over”, “overpriced”, and “tourist-trap”. Hmmm…time to shop around.
Where to turn? The knowledgable food-nerds at the Chowhound Florida board! These folks know what they’re talking about. Most of them live in Orlando, and all have a love of good food.
So here are their recommendations along with an interactive map. Thank you to the good people of the Chowhound Florida board who offered their suggestions!
1. Whole Foods Supermarket, 8003 Turkey Lake Road Shoooz At Phillips Crossing, Orlando, FL 32819 http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/orlando/ (407) 355-7100
- High-quality produce (much of it organic)
- Great prepared foods and salad bar
- Delivery to the local area, including all Disney resorts.
2. Chamberlin’s Supermarket, 6 locations. The closest are 7600 Dr Phillips Blvd, Orlando, FL 32819 (407) 352-2130 and 1114 N John Young Pkwy, Kissimmee, FL 34741 (407) 846-7454 http://www.chamberlins.com/
- Smaller local health-focused grocery chain
- Natural foods, organic produce, prepared foods
- Large variety of vitamins and supplements
3. International Food Club, 4300 L B McLeod Rd, Orlando, FL 32811 (321) 281-4300 http://internationalfoodclub.com/
- Giant warehouse with food from over 12 countries, from Eastern Europe to the Middle East to Africa
- One of the largest international food stores in Florida
- Giant olive bar!
5. 1st Oriental Supermarket, 5132 W Colonial Dr, Orlando, FL 32808 (407) 292-3668 http://1storiental.com/index.jsp. The largest Asian grocery in the area, with a huge variety of food, plus a food court!
6. Dong-A Market, 816 N Mills Ave, Orlando, FL 32803 (407) 898-3807. Fresh Asian veggies in a warehouse environment.
8. Meat Emporium, 12720 S Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32837 (407) 856-2100. http://www.meat-emporium.com/en_main.php. Spanish speaking meat market. Great cuts of meat and friendly customer service.
Have you shopped at any of these spots? Know of someplace I left off? Share your feedback in the comments!